Re: ZDUTTON — Thanks for pictures — Chickasha — Dutton characteristics

From: <Cybearval@aol.com>
Subject: Re: ZDUTTON — Thanks for pictures — Chickasha — Dutton characteristics
Date: 1998-07-27 10:52:43
Eula,
     I was also told that my Duttons were Black Dutch.  It was explained
to me
that
this means that they were Indian or part Indian, usually Cherokee, but did
not
want to
be.  They would marry the whites to ensure a future fort their descendents.
They did not trust either the Indians or the white man.  They hid out when
The
Trail of Tears
was happening and did not sign on any Indian rolls.  Most refused Indian land
and
money after the Trails of Tears and hid it from their own families about the
Indian
blood.  They refused to talk about it when asked by curious family
generations
later.
They all seemed to focus on marrying people with English surnames, such as
Dutton.
      My son, husband, his mother, and other Dutton descendents have this
very
stange green/yellowish colored eyes.  I know exactly what you're talking
about.
Some do have the brown eyes, too.  Most are very tall and have the high
cheekbones
and very black hair.  They are very attractive people.  My husband's aunt
today is in her 70's and her hair is now white, but she still likes like a
Cherokee.  They get very
tan/dark in the summer.
Artie

Leave a Reply