Mary Emily Dutton's Civil War Experience

From: <ECol91234@aol.com>
Subject: Mary Emily Dutton's Civil War Experience
Date: 1998-07-31 01:52:05
This is from the writing by Alice Dutton Freeman near
Jasper for the Walker County AlabamaHeritage Book.  Like
the other post I sent from her, it is a direct quote.
"My great-aunt Eliza Jane Lindsey used to tell me stories
about the Civil War days.  She was a young girl living
with her mother at home during that time. She could
remember when the Union soldiers burned Jasper.  Her
family stood in their back yard on Dutton Hill, and watched
the town go up in flames.  They lived just a short distance
>from Dutton Hill Church.  The Yankee soldiers (Wilson's Army)
raided their home and took most everything of value.
Hanging on a nail in the barn was an unfinished bridle
my great-grandfather had been working on for his horse
before he left for the war.  My (great) grandmother begged
the woldiers not to take the bridle so they left it alone.
However, they took meat from the smokehouse.  She asked
them, "What will I feed my children if you take all the meat?"
Nearby, she had a vat of lye soap.  One of the soldiers
dumped a middling of fatback into the vat and said,
"There's you some meat to feed them!"

Note:  The  word "(great)" was my insertion as she was
speaking about Mary Emily Rushings Dutton, Zachariah's
wife, the mother of her great aunt Eliza Jane.

Another excerpt directly quoted:
"Zachariah had a sister named Mary that married a Brown
and moved to MS.  The Browns had a son named Isaac,  who
at fifteen years old left his home and came to Dutton
Hill to help his widowed aunt on the farm.  It is said
he rode a mule from MIssissippi to Dutton Hill.  He
stayed with Mary Emily for 2 years and then returned to
Mississippi for a short while, came back to Walker County
and married Margaret Lollar.

The second excerpt from the story  came from my Chattanooga
cousin, Luella, from correspondence from a contact from
the George W. Dutton, (son of Zachariah and Mary Emily)
family, who knew something of the John Brown and Mary
Dutton (sister of Zachariah) family who moved to MS.
(Don't know what county. . . I have written my cousin for the
address of this contact.  Here is a Dutton with Black Dutch
ancestry in MS, but don't know what county)  In any case
Alice was writing the story from memory from our phone
conversation two days before the deadline for submitting
the story.  I had sent her the information from Joseph
identifying Zachariah's parents and telling her this
story by Fed Ex and was notifying her that it was coming,
and urging her to write her family's story for the book.  She
had not heard of the book before.  (I had mailed her a letter
a month before with her older rural route address and it
was not returned, but she did not receive it.)However
since she lived on a rural route, the postal service would not
guarantee next day delivery and sent it out by the regular
postman who delivered it late in the second day after she had
turned in the story.  So there are a few minor details that
were a little off in her memory,  such as the fact that Mary
Emily was not yet widowed when he came to help her, that
Isaac went home at age 17, enlisted in the CSA and served
with Co. D, Fourth Mississippi Cavalry until the end of the
war, returned  to MS after the war, but later came back to
Walker County, and married Margaret Lollar.  Also, he rode
 a horse to AL from MS, not a mule.  But I think it is a great
story corrections or not.

Joseph or someone else may already have this information,
and in fact may have corrections to it, but on p. 80 of the
John Dombhart book, History of Walker County Alabama:
"BROWN ISAAC, was born March 15, 1846, near Oakman, on
Lost Creek.  In February, 1863, he enlisted as a private in
Company D, Fourth Mississippi Cavalry, and served until
the close of the war.  Isaac Brown was the son of John
Brown, who came to Walker County some time in the
1830's and was married to Mary Dutton.  He moved to
Mississippi prior to the Civil War and died there.  Isaac
Brown returned to Mississippi after the war, but about
1870 came back to Walker County.  He was married to
Margaret Lollar, a daughter of John A. and Susan (Gillen)
Lollar.  Children: William Frank Brown, who married, first,
Adis Walton, and second, Carrie Reeves; Richard Lee
Brown, who married Bell Robinson; Mary Susan Brown,
who married Frank Raburn; Della Brown, who married
Bert W. Day; Bettie Brown, who never married; John
Harvey Brown, who married Mabel Crump, a daughter
of Henry Crump; and Queenie Brown who married Rome
Kingsley.  --From Census of Confederate Soldiers, 1907
and Brown Family Records."

On the same page: "BROWN, JOHN, and his wife, Hannah Brown,
residents of Morgan County in 1820, came to Walker County
some time in the 1830's Their daughter Nancy Brown, born in
 Morgan County on February 2, 1820, was married on February
3, 1843 to Elijah Sides, a son of Henry Sides, Jr., and a grandson
 of Henry Sides, Sr.  She died at her home near Lucky on
April 12, 1886.  --Files of the Mountain Eagle, April, 1886"

Note:  The Jasper, AL newspaper is still the Mountain Eagle

Leave a Reply