Fwd: ZDUTTON – Today's Post: Edmund Dutton

From: <Dokn@aol.com>
Subject: Fwd: ZDUTTON – Today's Post: Edmund Dutton
Date: 1998-07-01 21:05:31
--part0_899341531_boundary

In a message dated 98-07-01 19:39:30 EDT, richardson-decatur-
al@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< EDMUND DUTTON
 Born either September 7 or December 7, 1793 [Sep. from tombstone, Dec. from
 Family Bible of g.dau Willie Edna Hughes Roper (ancestor of Janice and
 Charles) in Charles County, Maryland, the son of Zachariah Dutton and
 possibly ? Penn. >>

Joseph

I think that you have hit on another clue for me.  Everywhere I go, everyone
is always trying to make my Edward into Edmund and i have even found some
records that list him as Edmund.  As it turns out, from your list, Samuel had
a brother named Edmund, and Edmund had a son named Edmond (I have seen it
spelled that way too.).Now I at least know why there is so much mix up.  Just
like all these years family telling me that Samuel came from PENN. (always
assuming it was the state) and it seems that he really came from a PENN
(person). And I bet that Mary Frances Dutton was named after her favorite
aunt, my great, great grandma

And as for the prolific family...my Dutton (Broach) grandmother had 12
children...grin
My mother was the oldest daughter.

Great job lining up all the folks and who they came from.  I think that this
makes most of us fourth cousins and some fifth cousins, once removed.  I have
a friend who teaches genetics and found out that this is close enough to
count....grin.

And I got the nicest note from James Dutton.  Thanks James.  As soon as I get
a little spare time from work, we have to talk.

Note to Nona...you guessed it.  I used an alphabetical O.  Will try again and
see if this goes.  BTW, I love the name Nona.

Did everyone on the list receive my profile.  Do I have everyone listed
correctly?

Once we all get nested in, I will transfer a picture of my Dutton Clan to
y'all.  It was taken during the funeral of EDWARD DUTTON in 1819.

Susie, I do not see Artie's name on the list.  We must tell her not to be shy.
She is our indian cousin who is an avid and careful researcher who has the
most marvelous stories to tell.

Also, tell me when anyone joins.  I am not real bright during these days of
learning this new computer 2000 series at work...and will not pick up on the
new name to add to the list....smile.

Take care dear family and thanks again to Joseph for pulling us all together.
Love Judy

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 13:25:09 -0500
To: [old-list]
From: Richardson <richardson-decatur-al@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: ZDUTTON - Today's Post: Edmund Dutton

Cousins,

Except for a few minor technical difficulties, everything seems to be
working great. At first I wondered what kind of Pandora's box I had opened
in getting all of us talking, but the more I think about it, the better the
idea seems. If we all work together and keep the information flowing, we
are sure to get more done. I am glad to have contacted each of you--some of
you might have never met apart from this group. You never know when that
one person you don't know might have the missing link.

Of the children of Zachariah Dutton, here is the breakdown of how we all
connect:

2 from William: Julie Dutton and myself.
2 from John: Rose Spencer and the Woodworths
2 from Jarrett: Nona Gold and Margaret Kinsley
2 from Stephen: Kaye Shirah and Myra Borden
4 from Edmund: Brenda Nitsch, Janice Roper, Charles Van Bebber, and the
Woodworths (Betty descends from both John and Edmund)
2 from Samuel Sneed: James Dutton and Judy Knight
2 missing links: Sonya Mims, who most likely descends from the OTHER Samuel
Dutton that was in Lawrence Co., Ala. in 1820--probably related to us
sooner or later; and Sue Rodgers, whose Duttons are from Virginia and
Maryland--also probably related further on up the tree.
That leaves 3 children of Zachariah:
Matilda, who never married.
Elizabeth married William Bailey; nothing else has been proven. She is
Zachariah's "lost daughter".
Zachariah Jr., who apparently moved to Brunswick County, North Carolina. He
is Zachariah's "lost son". James Dutton may have some leads on following
him up...

The first thing I noticed was the large number of descendants of Edmund
Dutton. This may have something to do with the fact that he had 15 kids. :)
[No, can't be that: Samuel had 16.] Whatever the case, Edmund seems to me
to be a pretty good place to start our discussion. Let me post a little bit
of the information that I have. Then each of you chip in--add, expand,
question, comment, discuss--even change the subject. Let's just get the
ball rolling.

EDMUND DUTTON
Born either September 7 or December 7, 1793 [Sep. from tombstone, Dec. from
Family Bible of g.dau Willie Edna Hughes Roper (ancestor of Janice and
Charles) in Charles County, Maryland, the son of Zachariah Dutton and
possibly ? Penn.
Died 28 Dec 1882 in Basham's Gap, Morgan County, Alabama [from tombstone
and pension records]
Married on 7 Mar 1821 in Limestone County, Alabama to Margaret Barnett Ross
[from pension record]
Fought in War of 1812. Enlisted on 1 Jun 1814 in Norfolk, Va. (or Lunenburg
Co., Va.?) Served in Col. William Green's Company and Col. William Palmer's
Company out of Norfolk. Discharged 6 Dec 1814. [from military record and
pension record] "Went through the war without a wound" according to Mrs.
Estelle Smith.
Came to Alabama in ca. 1818, possibly arriving with Stephen Penn, who may
have been his uncle. Settled in Lawrence County, Ala., where he lived for
most of his life.
Buried at Friendship Baptist Church in Danville, Morgan/Lawrence Counties,
Alabama. [The church is on the county line: the church itself is in
Lawrence County, along with part of the cemetery--the older part of the
cemetery, including probably Edmund's grave, is in Morgan. I am not
completely sure which grave is Edmund's--there are two markers there for
him, a new one and an old one. I would suspect that the new one was correct
because of its placement; the new marker was probably placed by Mrs. Odie
Dutton Hunter, Edmund's granddau., and mother of Mrs. Estelle Hunter Smith.
Julie Dutton speculates that the old marker was lost and thrown away, then
recovered; someone, not knowing where it went, just stuck it in the ground
somewhere. I'm trying to clear this up.]

MARGARET BARNETT ROSS
Born 1 Mar 1805 in Kentucky [from tombstone and census records]
Died 20 Nov 1874 in Lawrence County, Alabama [from tombstone]
[the "Barnett" comes from family tradition, given by Mrs. Estelle Hunter
Smith to Louie Dutton, father-in-law of Julie Dutton, who gave it to me]
Buried at Friendship Baptist Church.

15 children, all born in Lawrence County, Alabama:

1. William Dutton, b. 1 Feb 1821, d. 13 May 1883 in Lawrence Co. [from
tombstone] Was crippled and never married. [from Mrs. Smith] Bd. at
Friendship.

2. Cyrena Jane Dutton, b. 14 Mar 1824, d. 10 May 1862 in Lawrence Co. [from
tombstone]. Md. David Day, who was later probate judge of Morgan County.
Bd. at Friendship.

3. Alexander D. Dutton, born Dec 1825, d. after 1900 in Texas, probably
Wise County. Married. (1) Sarah Elizabeth Hampton, (2) 1st wife's sister,
Mrs. Martha Jane (Hampton) Lindsey.

4. Lovinda / Malinda / Lucinda Dutton. [Lovinda from tombstone, Malinda
>from Mrs. Smith, Lucinda possibly from census.] B. 27 Sep 1827, d. 19 Nov
1902 in Lawrence Co., Ala.  Married Kelso D. Hogan. Bd. at Cave Springs
Cemetery in Lawrence Co.

5. Louisa Dutton, b. ca. 1829. Married Joel W. Watkins. Nothing known after
1870.

6. James Dutton, b. 30 Nov 1830, d. 27 May 1914 in Morgan Co. [from
tombstone] Married Elizabeth Day. Bd. at Friendship.

7. John Dutton, b. 27 Sep 1832, d. 26 Aug 1907 in Morgan Co. [from
tombstone] Married (1) Rachell K. Templeton, (2) Ada Sillavan. John and Ada
were the parents of Odie Dutton Hunter.

8. Stephen Penn Dutton, b. Oct 1834, d. aft 1910 in Texas. [from census]
Married (1) Mary Frances Dutton, dau. of Thomas Dutton, (2) Mrs. Sarah Jane
(Dutton) Turrentine, sister of 1st wife. On census in 1900 in Wise Co.,
Texas, in 1910 in Parker Co. Ancestor of Betty Woodworth.

9. Samuel Dutton, b. Jan 1837, d. aft 1900, probably in Morgan Co. [from
census]. Married Sarah A. Nance. Nothing known after 1900, although his
wife died in 1907 and was buried at Herring Cem. in Morgan Co.

10. Edmond (usu. spelled Edmon) Dutton, b. 26 Feb 1839, d. 6 Jul 1914 in
Morgan Co. [from tombstone]. Married (1) Lethia B. Nance, (2) Mrs. Mary E.
White. Buried at Herring Cemetery in Morgan Co. Ancestor of Brenda Nitsch.

11. (Infant) Dutton, b. 26 Feb 1839, d. in infancy. He was the twin brother
of Edmond.

12. Margaret Elizabeth Dutton, b. ca. 1840/41, d. in Wise Co., Texas. [from
census] Married George S. Hughes. Buried at Cottondale Cem. in Wise Co.
Ancestor of Janice and Charles.

13. Martha S. Dutton, b. 27 Jun 1842, d. 24 May 1910 in Morgan Co. [from
tombstone] Married William H. Nance (William, Sarah, and Lethia Nance were
siblings). Buried at Hopewell Cemetery in Morgan Co.

14. Mary Frances Dutton, b. ca. 1845. Was unmarried in 1880, but Mrs. Smith
says married Joe Caudle. Nothing known after 1880.

15. George Washington Dutton, b. 15 Apr 1848, d. 14 Apr 1923 in Morgan Co.
[from tombstone] Md. (1) Martha Emily Simpson, (2) Mrs. Ada (Sillavan)
Dutton, widow of his brother John. Bd. at Friendship.

Whew! I'm exhausted! I hope I didn't go overboard!

Love,
Cousin Joseph

--part0_899341531_boundary--

Leave a Reply