Dutton-Fort

From: BAllen941@aol.com
Subject: Dutton-Fort
Date: 1999-05-24 17:16:05
Tom, I appreciate your informative post and glad to hear from you.  I found
Judy on Monday night Roots Cellar and she put me in touch with you all.
James also answered right away and so generously sent me printout of our
Dutton ancestors.

I have Fort book, A FAMILY CALLED FORT, by Homer Fort and Drucilla Jones.  I
joined the DAR on Turner Fort.  His son Elias Penn Fort married first Mary
Briley and they had 5 girls.  Mary A. Dutton and Elias had 5 sons and their
first son Elias Samuel Fort was born March 19,1848 died  October 12, 1904. He
married Eliza Jane Shepherd 1870.  Their daughter Alice Fort married John
Edgar Gray,  my Grandparents.

My Mother Lillian Gray Rivers, started researching in the 1970's Gray and
Allen in Alabama.  Evidently a large group of Anson County, N.C. families
migrated to Alabama in 1830-40.  My Great Grandmother Laura Ann Lee on Gray
line was born in Al. and her Father James D. Lee died there in 1849.  I have
copies of letters found in Al. and written from Richard Allen to his son John
Gray Allen in Spring Hill or I think Marengo Co.. Richard's 2nd wife was my
G-G-G- Grandma Jane McRae Flournoy on my Gray side.  I know you all are not
interested in all this, but thought I would throw out all these surnames in
case some of you might connect.

One letter written April 5, 1850 from Richard Allen to son John Gray Allen in
Marengo Co.  speaks of Forts and Duttons.
	"Old Mr Fort died this day a week ago.  Mr. Dutton has lost his two
oldest daughters that was living with him and he has been down himself ever
since the first of November and still cant get up of his bed nor cant walk a
step."
I meant to tell you about these letters when we talked , James.  Lots of
Anson Co. history in them.

Thanks again for including me.
Billie Rivers Allen

Leave a Reply