Re: ZDUTTON – James, son of James and Mary Dutton

From: ECol91234@aol.com
Subject: Re: ZDUTTON – James, son of James and Mary Dutton
Date: 1999-07-24 00:42:28
Yes, that makes sense.  I think that I took some of the census information
from books that were printed transcriptions.  Probably I saw the printed
transcription before I looked at the microfilm and assumed that was James.
Anyway I know some of the other Walker Co. people have sent the same lists
with James on it, so they must have seen the same transcription.  Check with
Gerald.  But if you saw the original handwriting, that must seal the case.
My Grandpa Sam showed up in someone's printed transcription as John and
because I knew Sam's b.d. already I figured the handwriting made a large S.
that went below the line, which in that day seemed to be part of the fancy
stuff as I have some handwitten memoirs of Wm Irwin, Jr. that does that
consistently if there is a double "ss".  Anyway from the mistaking the S in
Sam for a J the -am can easily be mistaken for -ohn.
	When I looked at the James and Mary census records,I was just
beginning my family history search and had about a total of one and one half
hours before the library closed and had to be on my way the next day so my
notes on that census was very scribbled and sloppy in the details I took
down. (wasn't even sure at the time how or if they were related).   Since I
had heard the James also from others, I assumed it to be right.  In one of
the censuses that I saw from another Dutton descendant recently, they had
Simeon as Lemen or some such.  Those census takers and their spelling and
handwriting and people giving the information probably often busy and not
wanting their time taken with such nonsense have caused lots of us some
headaches all these years later.  But part of the fun of genealogy for me is
a little of this mystery solving. ....but living so far away from the
detailed records and not able to travel there makes that solving a huge
problem, so all this internet communication is a real Godsend for me.
	While I am at this,  I was just now going over a list of Duttons from
the Walker County marriage book records I copied at Jasper that I have not
been able to place.  Maybe one or two of them might jump out at Joseph or
some of the other Dutton Cousins so I will list them:
  	Annie CROWNOVER md A. G. DUTTON IN 1920  A/G/ was age 32. amd Ammoe
was age 21. both b. AL
	CORA GANN  md  J. L. DUTTON in 1908.  J. L. was age 26 b. in AL and
Cora Gann was age 19, b. in AL
	James HALL md Lizzie (probably Elizabeth) DUTTON in 1908 at Townley,
Walker Co. AL
	Mary E. HARPER md J. J. DUTTON in 1879  Bond signed by J. J. and W.
R.Dutton and permission note sent by Lucinda A. Harper.
	Nancy F. JEFFRIES md J. J. DUTTON in 1906. Same J. J. or two
different ones???
	Thomas McCLUSKEY md Epp DUTTON in 1913  Thomas' last name was very
difficult to read on the handwriting.  Could have been McCluskey or
McCheskey.  He was age 21 b. in AL and she was age 20, b. AL
	C. P or C. R. SIMS md Ida DUTTON in 1900   Bond signed by C. R.; Sims
and D (or O) S (or I) Schwartz
	Jake SWARTZ md Bird DUTTON in 1893.   Marriage at home of her father
W. M. Dutton.
	Mathew TUCKER md Naomi J. DUTTON in 1879.  Married at the home of
William M. Dutton.  Bond signed by M. J. Tucker and S. C.Tucker.
	Will WHITE md Addie DUTTON in 1908 at Coal Valley in Walker County.
	R. M. WILLIAMS md Iza DUTTON in 1921.  He was age 23 and she was age
20, both b. AL

	Any of these fit into anyone's files?

Leave a Reply