Re: Dates on Margarette Elizabeth Dutton Hughes

From: Richardson <richardson-decatur-al@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Dates on Margarette Elizabeth Dutton Hughes
Date: 1998-07-07 12:15:59
At 09:52 AM 7/7/98 -0500, you wrote:
>I will make a point of stopping in Bowie Tx and Decatur Tx to check out
>cemetery records.  These are the two county seats between Red River (State
>Line) and the Fort Worth area, where Hughes/ possible Duttons were known to
>settle.  I travel this area frequently (my dad/brother/sister all live in
>the Dallas area) but I am generally through there on weekends.  After my
>semester ends (July 27th) and before the next one begins (mid Aug) I will
>take a good look around for Duttons, as I am kind of getting curious
>myself.  Any other possible family names I need to check on other than
>Dutton? (as in allied families).
>Janice

I can only think of a couple right now. I've often dreamed of going out there myself to look for them all, but that's not really feasible right now.

Here a few of names you should be on the lookout for:

Sarah Jane Dutton, 2nd wife of Stephen Penn Dutton, was 3 times married--had a son by second marriage that may have gone to Texas with them. His name was Stephen Henry Turrentine, born ca. 1867.

Anybody named Witt? The Witts were related to the Penns in Alabama--the only reason I would think to look for them is that on the 1910 census Stephen Penn Dutton was living with a Witt. Sarah Jane Dutton's first husband was a Witt. As far as I know, there was no surviving issue of this marriage, but they're probably relatives all the same.

The Dutton siblings that apparently went to Texas:
Alexander D. Dutton (b. ca. Dec 1825) & 2nd wife Martha Jane (b. 10 Apr 1842)
Stephen Penn Dutton (b. ca. Oct 1834) & 2nd wife Sarah Jane (b. ca. 1841)
Margaret Elizabeth Dutton Hughes & husband George S. Hughes, whom you know

2 siblings that apparently disappeared from Alabama:
Louisa Dutton Watkins & husband Joel Watkins
Mary Frances Dutton (said to have married Joe Caudle)

These surnames--if you happen to see them near any of our family, make a note. These are "allied lines":

Penn, Hogan, Watkins, Hughes, Turrentine, Witt, Nance, Day, Hughes, Hampton

That's all I can think of right now.

Thanks, Janice,

Love,
Joseph