Re: ZDUTTON-LM – Debate on attachments

From: <Dokn@aol.com>
Subject: Re: ZDUTTON-LM – Debate on attachments
Date: 1998-07-07 21:58:20

<< think the way it finds the actual address is by the @ sign. As long as
 you have that somewhere in the address, I don't think the format really
 matters.

 I am somewhat concerned about attachments posted to the entire list. I
 think everybody here would love to receive a scanned picture or a GEDCOM or
 something, but this gets to be a problem when you mail out a humungous file
 to everyone unsolicited. Most of the major mailing lists have disallowed
 attachments of any kind for this reason. When you send an attachment, a lot
 of e-mail programs (including mine) automatically download them, and won't
 let you read your mail until you're through downloading all attachments.
 I've had people send me files as big as megabytes without asking me, and
 sit here for 30 minutes downloading!

 For now, let me make a tentative rule--it's okay to send attachments if
 they're under 200k in size. What do ya'll think? Is that too low? Too high?
 My opinion is that it would be fine to send files to individuals upon
 request; the problem is when EVERYONE has to sit there and download whether
 they want it or not. On the larger lists, a lot of times you're not even
 related to the people you're receiving files from--here, that's not a
 problem, so I guess it would be slightly different.

 I guess you could post to the list: "Hey, I've got a scanned picture of
 so-and-so and his family. Does anybody want a copy?" And then all who want
 it could request it. That sounds fair.

 What do ya'll think?

 Thanks,

 Cousin Joseph

Joseph
Thanks for the address info and wow I did not know there were programs that
automatically download like that.  Glad that you told me...with your
permission I am going to pass on to the Broach group.  We have several that
send tons of downloads and you are right some are no in my lines (I save them
to a floppy disk anyway for reference).

I will send out a memo asking who would like a copy first.

Excellent rule and information.  One is never too old to learn....smile
Love Cousin Judy

Leave a Reply