Re: ZDUTTON-LM – Debate on attachments

From: <Dokn@aol.com>
Subject: Re: ZDUTTON-LM – Debate on attachments
Date: 1998-07-08 21:36:39
In a message dated 98-07-06 23:29:51 EDT, richardson-decatur-
al@worldnet.att.net writes:

<< am somewhat concerned about attachments posted to the entire list. I
 think everybody here would love to receive a scanned picture or a GEDCOM or
 something, but this gets to be a problem when you mail out a humungous file
 to everyone unsolicited. Most of the major mailing lists have disallowed
 attachments of any kind for this reason. When you send an attachment, a lot
 of e-mail programs (including mine) automatically download them, and won't
 let you read your mail until you're through downloading all attachments.
 I've had people send me files as big as megabytes without asking me, and
 sit here for 30 minutes downloading!

 For now, let me make a tentative rule--it's okay to send attachments if
 they're under 200k in size. What do ya'll think? Is that too low? Too high?
 My opinion is that it would be fine to send files to individuals upon
 request; the problem is when EVERYONE has to sit there and download whether
 they want it or not. On the larger lists, a lot of times you're not even
 related to the people you're receiving files from--here, that's not a
 problem, so I guess it would be slightly different.

 I guess you could post to the list: "Hey, I've got a scanned picture of
 so-and-so and his family. Does anybody want a copy?" And then all who want
 it could request it. That sounds fair. >>

Hi Cousins

I have a picture of my Dutton Clan taken in 1918 at the funeral of Ed Dutton
(my great great grandpa) son of Samuel Sneed and Betsy Threadgill Dutton,
grandson of Zachariah Dutton. Also have a list of their names...although some
are confusing.

The best I can tell the picture is about 176 K  and the names are just text
but they are about 250 or so...I scanned in the orginal handwritten copy.  I
have a hard time with this kill o byte stuff.

I have received pictures from different ones of you ..I like comparing them to
my family. I sent Artie and Susan a copy.  I don't believe they had any
trouble downloading.

Would anyone like a scanned copy sent to them?

Cousin Judy

Leave a Reply