Re: ZDUTTON – Woody and Betty's Excellent Adventure

From: "Crystal R. Brazzel" <jcarey@texhoma.net>
Subject: Re: ZDUTTON – Woody and Betty's Excellent Adventure
Date: 1998-07-12 10:47:20
George Hughes (and brothers Eli Phillip & John B.) served in the AL 1st Cav
USA, Co I.  Other relatives were in the same company, but I can't remember
exactly which ones/who.  The roster is available at the Civil War HomePage
- just remember your looking under the Union forces, not confederate.
Janice

----------
> From: Wildwudy@aol.com
> To: [old-list]
> Subject: ZDUTTON - Woody and Betty's Excellent Adventure
> Date: Saturday, July 11, 1998 3:18 PM
>
>          We took a road trip to Springtown, Texas on July 3 to try to
find
> where Stephen Penn Dutton was buried.  He was on the census records of
Parker
> County (Springtown located there) in 1910.  We walked the cemetery (temp
100+)
> but found no Dutton headstones.  Many of the stones had fallen over, or
were
> made of a sandstone whose names had eroded off.  Quite a few graves were
> marked only with stones.  We got the phone number of the lady who keeps
the
> cemetery records (Peggy Simmons 817-220-7349).  If she can?t help, we?ll
head
> for resources in Ft. Worth.
>         We then went to the Cottondale cemetery and found the "Hughes
Gang".
> We walked that cemetery and found no Duttons.  I did notice that my
ggg-aunt?s
> (Margaret Elizabeth Dutton Huhges) husband served with a company from
Alabama
> in the Civil War.  Does anyone know if Stephen Penn Dutton served in the
Civil
> War?
>           TO Charles Van Bebber:  Charles, the picture you sent me was
> definitely my g-grandfather, Arthur.  My 2nd cousin Shirley (Dutton)
Weaver
> has the same picture.  It was taken for his wedding and he was 22 yrs
old.
> Was able to obtain info on all of his children .  If anyone would like a
> scanned copy, let us know.
>          TO Judy Knight:  Judy, my cousin Shirley said that she had heard
that
> the Dutton name was either Scotch or English, but I was fascinated with
the
> origin of "Black Dutch" as I am 3/16 Cherokee.  Thanks.
>          Sorry to be so long winded but we want all to know what we found
? or
> didn?t find.  We?ll keep looking.
>           There is a "Dutton, Oklahoma".  We?re going to find out the
origin
> of this small town.
>          Welcome to all the new cousins.
>
> Betty (Dutton) and Woody Woodworth
>
>        --////////---\\\\\--
> Hughes Headstones in Cottondale, TX, cemetery, next to "Community
Church":
> Scanned pictures of headstones available on request.
>
> George Luther Hughes
> b. May 1, 1869
> d.  Aug 9, 1947
> and next to above stone is:
> Mary Ellen Waren
> b.  Feb 12, 1884
> d.  Dec 9, 1951
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~
> CORP
> George S. Hughes
> Co. 1
> 1 ALA. CAV.
> Nov 18, 1838
> Jan 25, 1932
> Just a sinner saved by grace
> ~~~~~~~~
> Margaret T. Hughes
> b.  Dec 21, 1840
> c.  July,1, 1908
> A precious one from us has gone, a voice we loved is stilled.  A place is
> vacant in our home, never can be filled.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> John A
> SON OF G.S. & M.E.
> HUGHES